- Home En
KB0138 - Setup Internet Explorer 11 in Kiosk mode on Windows 8.1
This outline is made to assist in setting up a Kiosk screen for the Resource Central Guest registration feature.
The KB is outlining some options and hits on how to setup IE11 in Kiosk mode on Windows 8.1. It is not a definitive guide.
IMPORTANT NOTE: It is required to run Kiosk screen on IE11 Normal Mode
Launch IE 11 in Kiosk mode
1. Compose Kiosk URL
Kiosk URL has the following format: <RC URL>/Kiosk/<Kiosk ID>/<Time Zone ID>
+ Kiosk ID: Taken from Screen ID in Kiosk Screen panel from Resource Central backend
+ Time zone ID: Taken from the following list of time zones:
A Kiosk URL might be like this:
http://192.168.1.176/ResourceCentral/Kiosk/1/Central European Standard Time
1 = Kiosk ID
Central European Standard Time = Time zone ID
Note: If server side (backend) and client side (kiosk screen) use the same time zone, it is not necessary to enter Time zone name to the URL, e.g. http://192.168.1.176/ResourceCentral/Kiosk/1
2. Open Run window (by clicking Windows + R) and type in: cmd. This opens the Windows Command prompt.
3. Run the following command:
Taskkill/f /im explorer.exe
4. Continuously run the following command:
“%ProgramFiles%\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe” –k (Kiosk URL)
In which, Kiosk URL is formed in the previous step.
With the URL, the command line might be like this:
5. In case the browser is closed, run the following command:
Setup IE11 in Kiosk mode after Windows boot
Note: This must be set up on each Kiosk client machine and can only be applied to a specific user who creates the settings.
1. Open Run window (by clicking Windows + R) and type in: shell:startup, then click OK.
This step opens the Startup folder.
2. Create a shortcut to IE. After this step, we have the result like this:
3. Right click the shortcut, select “Shortcut”
4. In the Target field, add the following command into the path:
So basically, the path in the Target field might be like this:
"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -k "http://192.168.1.101/ResourceCentral/Kiosk/4"
5. Click [OK] to finish.
Applies to: RC 3.7.10 SR1+
Reference: TFS #21080
Knowledge base ID: 0138
Last updated: Feb 23, 2016